The Lituanian Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba is a statutory institution in the state of constant special readiness. Its main purpose is to ensure public order in extraordinary situations and defend the State in a wartime being a part of the Armed Forces.
The Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba functions:
- to restore and/or ensure public order in cases of extraordinary situations and emergencies;
- within its competence, to eliminate hazards posed to human life or health and property in cases of extraordinary situations and emergencies;
- to ensure the organisation and performance of convoy operations of detained persons, arrested and convicted between imprisonment institutions, courts, circuit courts in all territory of Lithuania and carry out extraditions;
- to ensure the protection of important state properties: facilities, buildings and state reserve;
- to search for runaway and missing persons, corpses and evidences;
- to strengthen forces of the Lithuanian police, the State Border Guard Service, the Fire and Rescue Department, the VIP Security Department and assist these institutions in implementing their functions;
- to defend the State in the event of war as a part of the armed forces;
- to participate in missions of the United Nations and other international organisations.
The Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba is accountable to the Minister of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania. The organisational and territorial structure of the Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba consists of a Headquarters, three subordinate territorial units and training centre. Headquarters are located in Vilnius capital city and consist of independent departments also direct support board. Vilnius, Kaunas and Klaipeda territorial units and training centre are subordinated to the Deputy Commander.
The Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba dispose handguns, shotguns, rifles, sub-machine guns, grenade launchers, sniper rifles produced in Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Italy. Personal protection and other individual equipment produced in France, United States, and Czech Republic. The Viesojo Saugumo Tarnyba use specialised vehicles for patrol, convoy operations, light armoured vehicles for collective security and water-canons mainly produced in Germany and by International Armoured group.